Registration | Clinical Skills Training for Research Staff: EKG, Vital Signs, and Phlebotomy | 2023
The Brigham Research Education Program, BWH Center for Clinical Investigation, and BWH STRATUS Center for Medical Simulation offer a clinical skills course for BWH clinical research coordinators, assistants, and study staff. This training is for research staff who need to perform EKGs, obtain vitals, and/or draw blood (phlebotomy) as part of their current job requirements at the Brigham.
The in-person, hands-on practice portion of the clinical skills courses (EKG/Vital Signs & Phlebotomy) will be offered on the second Thursday of each month (third Thursday of September and December) at the STRATUS Center for Medical Simulation (BWH Main Campus; 10 Vining Street). Directions will be sent a week prior to the session. Specific dates are listed in the dropdown menu below.
- 10:30AM - 12:00PM | EKG & Vital Signs
- 12:00PM - 1:00PM | break for lunch (NOT provided)
- 1:00PM - 2:30PM | Phlebotomy
Important Information Before You Register:
- This training is for research staff who need to perform EKGs, obtain vitals, and/or draw blood (phlebotomy) as part of their current job requirements at the Brigham.
- This course requires a BWH Cost Center Number to participate. You will be asked to provide these details below.
- EKG/VS Portion: $20/participant
- Phlebotomy Portion: $15/particpant
- Registration does NOT guarantee enrollment: Space is limited to 10 participants per session to allow one-on-one learning. You will be notified of your registration status ~1 week prior to the course; if the session is oversubscribed, a wait list will form. Fund numbers will only be charged for those given a spot in each session. If you are given a spot and find out you can no longer attend, you must notify BWHResearchEd@partners.org to avoid being charged.
- Prior to the in-person/hands-on practice session, participants are required to watch the recorded lecture portion of the class (must be connected to the MGB/BWH network or VPN to view).
- At the in-person EKG/Vital Signs portion of the training, participants will observe/practice EKGs on a simulation device and will also practice taking vital signs on one another.
- At the in-person Phlebotomy portion of the training, participants will practice tying tourniquets on each other and will practice drawing blood on a simulation device.
- After the course, participants will be required to validate their competency under the supervision of their PIs within their own research settings. This will be reviewed in more detail at each training session.
Questions may be directed to BWHResearchEd@partners.org